Skip to main content

The Killer

“You’re weak because you’re smaller than me!” My neighbour shrieked gleefully. He had been gloating ever since the wobble began. Irritating chap! 

Today he started in the morning itself!  Idiot! 

And yet, something wasn’t right.

But I was too happy to worry, totally fascinated by this city, bustling with people running, driving helter-skelter as if their life depended on it. 

I loved my home. Yes, despite the cacophony of needless honking, overcrowded, messy roads, hot weather (heard it was salubrious many years ago).

The conversations from the vehicles stuck in jams below made it worthwhile. 

Parents fighting with children about being late, not doing homework, not studying enough! Children arguing back about increased stress, peer pressure, and unreasonable expectations! 

Conversations about fabulous holidays, great achievements, pride in their work, love at first sight, eternal love, breakups! Stony silences! Sometimes, companionable.

Life at its fullest and conflicting best. 

I often wondered if life was so conflicting why don’t they put an end to it.

I found the answer in one conversation between an elderly man and a young one. 

“I hate life, Grandpa. Life’s messy! I want to run away.” The boy gripped the wheel tightly, his face grim. 

“Life will follow you everywhere, son. She doesn’t give up.” His grandpa’s voice was genial. 

“What if I killed myself?”

The old man’s voice trembled for a second. Then he said in a steely voice, “Beware, boy! Life’s not ours to take. Life’s ours to live.”

Those words struck a chord, a lesson I reminded myself every day. Today too. 

The swaying began a couple of weeks ago. One day, suddenly, I found myself leaning over so much I thought I’d topple over. 

Thankfully, I could steady myself quickly. But I felt it the next day, and the day after too. Irregularly but undoubtedly. 

The day before yesterday, the wobbly feeling came more than once a day, and yesterday, almost every hour! A few alarmed faces looked up at me. 

A few officials inspected me this morning. I recognized one of them. I’d only seen him in tracks and tees before. Today, he was in a suit. The shape of his bald head was unmistakable. 

He often met another man late at night when no one was around. The other man always carried a bag full of money. I knew this because the bald man opened the bag every time. 

This morning, he was brusque! “It looks fine. This iron pillar is designed to hold a running train, for God’s sake. It cannot topple over if its dimensions vary a little from the approved standard.” 

They stood mute under his stern, angry gaze. They nodded and went away.

I too lost myself in the milling life beneath me. 

“You’re wobbling again!” 

Drat! That pesky fellow!

“Mind your own …..aaahhhhhh!” 

I toppled over, falling on a scooter, the child and the mother riding pillion buried under my weight.

I broke the only human law that made sense! I took two lives. 

This story was first published in Artoonsinn Writers Room - https://writers.artoonsinn.com/the-killer/


Comments

My followers' favorites

The Birth of Ganesh

Nandi had done it again! Parvati was furious. Despite warning him repeatedly, Nandi had left her work half-done and had run off behind Shiva who called him to go and watch a wrestling match.  From her bath, she had heard her husband’s voice as he called out to Nandi who didn't even bother to check with her before leaving. He had mutely (and perhaps, happily too) followed Shiva. The worst thing was the feeling of desolation she experienced each time something like this happened. She felt alone and uncared for.  Parvati's orders and commands always took second place to those of Shiva in Kailash. Shiva's bidding was considered more prominent than hers. Then, why did Shiva carry on the pretence of being an ‘ardhanarishwara’ giving equal importance to man and woman? He preached, "There is no Shiva without Shakti," to everyone. Parvati had many names and one of them was Shakti.  But when she approached him to resolve the inequality meted out to her by Nandi and everyone

The Birth of Krishna

Torrential rains accompanied by incessant thunder and lightning threatened to tear apart Mathura that dark, ferocious night. River Yamuna was bursting at the seams as her banks overflowed. The entire city of Mathura stayed indoors.  No one dared to face the wrath of nature. The sounds of thunder drowned the screams of Devaki as she writhed in the agony of labour pains even as the prison chains rubbed against her skin turning it to a horrific scarlet colour. Finally, she gave birth to her eighth child. She passed out due to exhaustion without even glancing at her much-awaited child. Her harried husband, Vasudev, looked at his newborn son. His heart overflowed with love even as despair and hopelessness filled his mind with dread.  As Devaki passed out, miracles started to take place. Vasudev noticed the soldiers guarding the prison cell had all mysteriously swooned. The locks opened on their own. The chains that bound Vasudev's hands and feet came free.  A voice in his head commanded

The Birth of Rama

It was the same nightmare that awoke Kausalya in a fit of panic every night. She hears frantic knocking and banging on the door and the heart-wrenching pleas of a little girl calling out to her, "Mother! Mother! Open the door. I'm afraid." Kausalya is unable to move because her hands are tied. She is trapped in a closed box and is trying hard to wriggle out of the tight knot on her wrists. She wants to open the door, to console the little girl,  to tell her to wait, and that everything will be alright soon. But no voice comes out of her throat. She can feel herself screaming silently. The nightmare continues. The little girl is grown into a beautiful woman. She is a great warrior, adept at wielding the most dangerous and powerful weapons with ease. And yet, she stands outside the closed door pleading with her mother, "Why are you not opening the door? Why can't I come in? Why are you sending me away?" Again, Kausalya tries hard to speak. She wants to tell th